Our client, an engineering and construction project management company, is seeking a Pre-Construction Manager for multiple projects located in the Birmingham, AL area. This is a full time, direct hire opportunity.
The Preconstruction Manager is responsible for managing the entire preconstruction process from the initial concept to the final design and contractor selection. This position guides projects from early design until start of construction while maintaining the Owner's budget, implementing phasing and contracting requirements and keeping the design team on schedule. This position works closely with Project and Program Managers, Architects, Engineers, and Owners to align preconstruction services to the overall mission of a given project or program and to insure the highest level of professionalism and service to clients. In this role you may be required to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with Client and Architect and/or Engineer contacts to facilitate successful project execution.
- Attend all client-initiated meetings and ceremonial events as well as maintaining regular contact to ensure their satisfaction with specific project progress and results.
- Regularly participate in presentations to secure new work for the company.
- Prepare detailed estimates (conceptual, schematic, design development, construction).
- Assemble the estimate including general conditions (with input from Operations), special conditions, insurance, and bonds.
- Prepare and analyze cost models during the design development and/or bidding period.
- Create subcontractor/material supplier bid lists.
- Take the lead in the solicitation process to insure proper bid coverage. Prepare bid packages, obtain bids from subcontractors and material vendors, and analyze bids from subcontractors and material vendors.
- Ensure that an adequate and proper number of documents are available for estimating the project.
- Lead the preconstruction strategy meeting on the approach to the project or estimate. Coordinate and assure that a preliminary construction schedule has been developed for each estimate.
- Organize and lead the transfer meeting between the project team and the preconstruction team and coordinate the follow-up meetings.
- Have a working knowledge of material unit costs, systems square foot costs and total building square foot costs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Building Science, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related field
- 5-7 years of experience within a Pre-construction/Estimating environment, working with large commercial or industrial projects.
- Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of construction cost estimating, conceptual budgeting, and scheduling.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, SureTrak/Primavera and OnScreenfield
- Valid Drivers' License Required
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment with extensive public contact and frequent interruptions.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight 50 lbs; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to travel to other locations using various modes of private and commercial transportation; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.