In support of our client, a leading provider of network software and hardware-based solutions, we are seeking a Technical Publications Sr Editor located in Huntsville, AL. This is a long-term, remote consulting opportunity.
The Technical Publications Sr Editor is a skilled, professional level position that focuses on editing technical documents for English grammar and style, logical content organization, usability, technical integrity of content, and format. As an integral part of the technical publications team, the Sr. Editor provides editing for a variety of customer publications that are developed by a global team of technical writers, illustrators, and Web developers. This person also oversees template development and maintenance, application of corporate, trademark, copyright, and other legal standards, the company style guide, and other related departmental responsibilities.
- Edit technical documents for English grammar and style, logical content organization, logical sentence structure, usability, technical integrity of content, and format.
- Make recommendations to writers, both individual and team, to improve readability and clarity
- Make recommendations toward technical accuracy
- Develop and maintain a Style guide
- Assist with the development and maintenance of templates
- Enforce editorial standards, template usage, and corporate legal guidelines in regard to trademark and copyrights
- Enforce safety and regulatory standards and requirements in documentation
- Mentor technical writers (individual and team)
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Technical Writing, Technical Communications, English, Journalism, Communications, Information Architecture, Computer Science, or Engineering.
- Command of written English—grammar and style, syntax, voice, punctuation
- Command of verbal English—strong communication skills
- Aptitude to understand technology. Able to understand technical concepts and details at the solution, system, and component level
- Must be able to edit multiple pieces at various levels of development
- Must exhibit strong people/customer skills (team interaction is required). Must be able to interact effectively with a team consisting of technical writers, including team leads, a technical illustrator, and web manager.
- Must network with key contacts outside of Technical Publications, such as engineering design/build/test teams, product portfolio managers, systems teams, and colleagues on the technical publications teams.
- PC-based authoring tool experience commiserate with Level 4: Adobe-FrameMaker, Acrobat, and Illustrator; Microsoft Windows and Windows-based products; Web
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and the Microsoft Manual of Style
- Project management and organizational skills (must self-manage multiple, concurrent projects against milestones, deadlines, and delivery commitments). Must be able to manage a database, organize, and validate files
- Must be able to work full time from a remote location, in a work from home environment, as defined by Company.
- Must be able to work in a global work environment and make some accommodation to occasionally work with global time differences
- Must be able to work with a company-provided electronic workstation, including computer, monitors, keyboards, mouse, and other peripheral equipment
- Level 4 (Advanced): Minimum of eight years of prior experience
- Must be able to demonstrate as a self-motivated/driven technical communications professional with wide-ranging editorial experience; must be able to understand technical concepts and company objectives.
- Must be fluent in technical publication goals.
- Must be able to effectively resolve complex editorial issues
- Must be able to assume multiple roles within the editing arena, including project management of multiple concurrent editing projects, template development, coaching (team mentoring) of technical writers in editorial requirements
- Must be able to address complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluates criteria to obtain results
ResourceTek offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer.