In partnership with our client, a global leader in the steel industry, we are seeking an experienced Refractory Team Manager – Steel Making at their manufacturing facility near Mobile, AL. This is a direct hire opportunity.
The ideal candidate will lead operations for the Refractory area of the Steelmaking team, including managing team of refractory operators and refractory specialist, to meet the company’s business goals.
Project Execution, Construction, and Startup Phase:
- Provide refractory expertise during basic & detail design of production equipment.
- Design of refractory equipment; Participate in ladle design.
- Hire and train team of refractory operators.
- Create a refractory vendor database; Meet and evaluate vendors.
- Develop technical specification for refractory consumable and create SDS & MM number
- Write work instruction & HIRAC for refractory equipment usage.
- Develop training documentation & course for refractory operators.
- Set up refractory areas to include tools, devices, and arrangements.
Health, Safety, Environmental, and Quality Management
- Responsible for Safety, Quality, Environmental and Production for refractory team
- Lead and/or participate in incident root cause analysis and corrective actions for major failures to include safety incident, environmental deviation, quality deviation, production loss.
- Ensure refractory compliance with environmental regulations; Investigate safety, quality, environmental and production incidents.
- Ensure operators are appropriately trained to perform their duty safely; Ensure work instructions & HIRAC are up to date for refractory.
- Lead refractory team to achieve performance: production, cost, & quality KPIs
- Communicate and provide leadership and vision to refractory team.
- Demonstrate and promote AM/NS Calvert Purpose and Values: Safety, Teamwork, Accountability, Relationships, and Sustainability
- Organize the refractory team members work schedule, vacations, and replacement.
- Evaluate performance of team members and take actions to develop their skills, including disciplinary correctives actions.
- Ensure housekeeping is performed by the team in the workplace at any time.
- Identify appropriate counter measure in case of non-achievement of refractory performance targets.
- Work with EAF, LMF, RH, caster interfaces for the overall benefit of steelmaking mill
- Communicate and plan with the maintenance team the maintenance needs of refractory equipment.
- Manage and evaluate EAF, LMF, Ladle, RH, caster refractory performances: state, degradation time.
- Follow up production equipment process parameters, identify deviations to standard that have influence on refractory performance and implement corrective measures.
- Manage budget and financial performance of refractory activities, including stock levels.
- Organize and coordinate refractory repair and reline works for EAF, LMF, Ladle, RH, tundish
- Manage performance of selected contractors and vendors.
- Lead or participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Organize new refractory material trials.
- Provide a refractory expertise to technology team for improvement projects implementation.
- Monitor inventory levels of refractory and related consumables; Communicate with procurement and refractory vendors to ensure optimal refractory inventories are maintained.
- Provide resources to engineers and specialists for achieving their objectives.
- High school diploma or GED; Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Business, Management, or similar field preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of refractory team management experience in a steelmaking factory required; 6+ years of refractory team management experience preferred.
- In depth knowledge of steelmaking refractory and concrete material
- Extensive knowledge of steelmaking refractory works and gunning operations.
- Strong decision-making, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Intermediate Computer skills to include SAP and Microsoft Office
- Excellent communications skills working with professionals, operations/maintenance personnel, and construction trades.
- Technical knowledge of Caster, Melt Shop, Ladle Metallurgy Facility (LMF), and/or RH desired.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
Company provides industry leading compensation package including relocation, annual bonus, PTO, holidays, etc. Equal Opportunity Employer.