In partnership with our client, a global automotive manufacturer, ResourceTek is seeking a Senior Packaging Engineer to join their team in Huntsville, AL. The right candidate will be responsible for establishing and maintaining of parts packaging, managing logistics quality and cost of all inbound / outbound logistics for production with managements. This is a long-term contract to hire opportunity.
The Senior Packaging Engineer role focuses on building and launching the operation processes by aligning with the project launch master schedule in order to achieve the Quality, Cost & Delivery (QCD) requirements. The engineer supports OEM production planning by responding quickly to external changes in production planning, while working to meet customer’s needs and expectations in order to achieve the QCD requirements.
The Senior Packaging Engineer works closely with the management team during the production stages to improve daily operations and processes and to ensure both run smoothly and in accordance with plant expectations.
Establish, Run & Manage Operations
- Develops and maintains packaging strategies that are aligned with global logistics management and executes these strategies during daily operations. Reports daily updates to management.
- Works with Logistics Manager to develop processes and procedures for the supplier’s packaging establishment and returnable materials in order to achieve the highest level of compatibility of QCD from the supplier to the plant manufacturing side.
- Monitors packaging establishment and supplier readiness status and manages the process for completion in timely manner.
- Generates packaging concept proposals based on logistics process, packaging efficiency and developed strategies with management for guiding supplier’s designing study. Evaluates packaging proposals from supplier and examines their feedback for improvements.
- Establishes packaging specifications for new parts; monitors and executes any updates in supply chain condition changes.
- Creates and maintains input/output parts and packaging information in relevant systems to secure correct ordering and logistics operations.
- Works with Logistics Manager to develop the processes and procedures to identify issues with inbound/outbound logistics (including packaging, customs and claims) and works with Manager to promptly address countermeasures and prevention actions.
- Evaluates countermeasures and reports findings to management, team members and logistics providers.
- Reviews, reports and analyzes daily operation outputs to identify root causes, potential issues and possible areas for process improvements.
- Works with Logistics Manager to develop processes and procedures to support centralized cost management for all logistics costs and monitors the status of these costs.
- Analyzes logistics cost trends and predicts future cost impacts based on project master schedule and production plan; works with management and team members to generate improvement plans.
- Establishes KPI (Key Performance Indicator) with Logistics Manager for current operations and processes and monitors the performance by achieving the required target QCD.
- Works with team to review operations and develop strategies for achieving the target KPI.
- Reports processes to management to ensure compliance is within specified regulations, legal requirements and safety rules.
Administration (Contracting / Payment)
- Reviews related contracts and pricing with Logistics Manager and legal team to ensure they are within scope of the plan operations.
- Reviews all purchases and payments for contractors with Logistics Manager.
- Inputs and maintains data in logistics systems for proper record maintenance related to compliance and regulations.
- Assists Logistics Manager with yearly financial audits and tracking resolutions as needed.
- 5+ years of experience in a related field is required.
- Microsoft Office Proficiency.
- Ability to utilize 3D data software.
- Ability to understand and analyze logistics processes and cost structure.
- Experience with project management, including cross department coordination.
- Ability to provide strategic contributions while successfully executing objectives assigned by the management team.
- Knowledge of analysis methods (PDCA, 8 D´s analysis, 7 statics tools, etc.).
- Knowledge of automobile technology practices and principles and production parts logistics processes and procedures.
- Analysis and preparation of financial reports, budgeting principles and general administrative practices, budget monitoring.
- Data collection for reporting, identifying and defining potential issues; developing proposals that will assist management with process improvement.
- Analytical and conceptual thinking using logic, reason, creative and strategic thinking.
- Effective communication, both written and verbal.
- Ability to provide guidance and directions to team members.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering and Logistics, or other related field is preferred, or equivalent work experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 5+ years of automotive production parts logistics operations and packaging management is preferred.
- 1+ year of experience as a team leader in a related field is preferred.
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification is preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Up to 20% travel (both international and domestic will be required),
- Current passport preferred, must have the ability to obtain a passport due to travel requirements.
ResourceTek offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer.