Technical Support Specialist
ResourceTek is the Human Capital division of Barge Design Solutions, a multi-discipline Engineering firm. We specialize in providing technical recruitment and staffing services to industry and government in all areas of Engineering, Information Technology, and a broad range of other Technical disciplines.
In support of our client, a leader in the design, manufacture, and supplier to the global transportation industry, we are seeking an experienced Technical Support Specialist for Chicago, IL. The right candidate will provide technical assistance and support related to computer systems, hardware, or software. They will respond to queries, runs diagnostic programs, isolates problem, and determines and implements solution. This is a temporary opportunity with our client.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate with IT Management and the Business to implement desktop and server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Deploy workstations, servers, printers, scanners, firewalls, encryption systems, and all host security systems.
- Provide technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware.
- Respond to queries either in person, over the phone, or via e-mail.
- Write training manuals.
- Train computer users.
- Maintain daily performance of computer systems.
- Respond to email messages for customers seeking help.
- Ask questions to determine nature of problem.
- Walk customer through problem-solving process.
- Install, modify, and repair computer hardware and software.
- Clean up computers.
- Run diagnostic programs to resolve problems.
- Resolve technical problems with Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), and other systems.
- Install computer peripherals for users.
- Follow up with customers to ensure issue has been resolved.
- Gain feedback from customers about computer usage.
- Run reports to determine malfunctions that continue to occur.
- Maintain communications (e-mail, IM, phones, etc) and connection solutions, including workstation connectivity, local area networks, company Web site, intranet, and Internet applications.
- Maintain input/output fleet, including printers and scanners.
- Maintain end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Analyze system, server, application, network, and input/output device performance.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required reports in response to business user needs.
- Develop, document, and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use.
- Associate’s Degree in the field of computer science and/or 1-2 years equivalent work experience.
- Working technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems, including TCP/IP, Windows Server 2008/2012, Windows 7/8, RHEL, Avaya Communications Manager, HP Procurve Networking, Dell Sonicwall.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including firewalls, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, VOIP.
- Knowledge of local area network administration.
- Hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
ResourceTek offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer.